Re: amber-developers: ffts

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 16:58:56 -0500

Yes, what Ross says is essentially true. I support FFTW and old and new sgi fft's (at least through 9, have not played with an sgi in a very long time now...). The FFTW fft's are maybe 10% faster on a uniprocessor pentium 4, but also prone to producing slightly variable results due to variable algorithm selection (fftw has this feature whereby it can select the best algorithm for a given machine; the answer is sometimes slightly random, so you get the fft's done 2 slightly different ways; a bit of a nuisance). The fftw stuff also supports a prime factor of 7, but I am not sure that really helps much in most scenarios. So I do sort of favor the pubfft stuff we have, which started with netlib stuff that Tom Darden picked up. I sat down and did a bit of a rewrite of all the code and amazingly managed to make it even faster. So our own fft's are actually really pretty darn good, compile fast, and it is really is easy to find and link to the library (there is none ;-)).
I COULD imagine that IBM may have something special for some screwball architecture or other that might be faster...
Regards - Bob