Re: amber-developers: Fw: How many atoms?

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:37:38 -0800

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007, John Mongan wrote:

> On the issue of a new inpcrd/restrt format that can support 1M+ atoms,
> what about using the NetCDF trajectory format?

Close to my idea: use netCDF (but probably not "netcdf trajectory"), since
restart files have velocities as well as positions, and are a half-time-step
out of sync with trajectories. [The latter is a problem that we might
address at some point, but it would destroy backwards compatibility with
two decades of Amber simulations, so may not be worth it.]

But we can have this disucssion later: I would hate to have some developer
spend time writing an erudite email on this subject when they could be
updating the ptraj documentation or re-working how REM works (for example).

...dac