Re: amber-developers: Fw: How many atoms?

From: Adrian Roitberg <roitberg.qtp.ufl.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 08:58:30 -0500

Bob, just to make sure, I do not have a BG/L, and I do not want one (I
think carlos did not want SUNY's either, but higher powers intervened).

 From a science point of view, I do not believe that > 1 M atoms
simulations are worth a penny, and I am willing to defend that position
with numbers. It makes for a nice movie, but NOTHING happens in ~10-20
ns for something that large.

However, it is the future and we should plan for it.

The question is if if changing to >1 M now (for amber 10) requires large
changes in file formats, would we be ready ? I rather have file format
as they are for 10, and have the > 1 M version as beta for us and try it
out for a while. I would hate to release such a change and then change
it again.

I presume the same changes in sander are not going to be done for 10, so
there will be a disconnect in capabilities/format b/w sander and pmemd

just my 3 cents, I feel good today so my opinion costs more ;-)

Cheers

Robert Duke wrote:
> Hi Ross,
> Well, that is a lot of processors; all the eggs in two baskets, eh? Okay, we'll plan on the minimum to be able to run 1-10M (maybe more), may the user beware. Would whoever is responsible for xleap/gleap (sorry, but I have been bad keeping track of that end of the amber wilderness) please let me know what is currently supported or what you will support. Ross, do you have bandwidth to hack capability into sander? While on the one hand I think the amoeba inpcrd format is overkill, it does have the virtue of solving all future potential problems, and as I said before, we can currently read this stuff in an amoeba context. Thanks to all for input again; thanks to Ross for actually having a clue about what the funding agencies and supercomputer centers are doing (on the one hand I like tracking the technology, but on the other hand I am not fond of the politics). Carlos, Adrian, all you guys with that really big BG/L out in NY state somewhere, just bear in mind that multi-
million atom simulations on that machine may not be real smooth ;-) (but hopefully the work I am doing now will have you in a good position to utilize the beast for reasonable-sized systems).
> Best Regards - Bob

The map structures tend to not scale down with increasing processor count, so that has been a potential issue. The thing that really had me pulling my hair out was expanding async i/o buffer space requirements though. The larger the count of async i/o's you "post" for later completion (so you can go do other things), the more buffer space you need, and in some instances the amount of buffer space per communication event does not scale down as well as you might like as the processor count goes up. So at 2048 procs on BG/L running cellulose, this is what actually bites you. I think I may have gotten around the worst memory problem in the new scaling architecture today with minimal performance hit; I'll see over the next week or so. But running something big on BG/L would definitely require some careful work that I may not have time to complete.

> Okay, so it sounds like people would like 1M+ atoms, nuts on BG/L implications, so we should head in that direction. The nasty downside is that for any memory-limited architecture, we may be setting ourselves up for some runtime failures where folks won't understand the failure (the code actually does produce a nice error msg for any allocation failure, but that will show up in the system stderr rather than mdout, and could get missed, and could happen in mid-run as loadbalancing causes changes in memory allocation). So we should discuss how we want to specify the new format inpcrd. Does leap already handle Darden's amoeba inpcrd format? Do folks want something simpler? The advantage to the amoeba format is that both pmemd and sander can already read it; they both just need to know to try for both amoeba and non-amoeba runs. Then they also need to be able to recognize that they are running >999,999 atoms and write the restrt in the new format. What is the status
 of xleap/gleap in terms of Darden's inpcrd format? Would it be easy to add the capability to output the new format inpcrd for all systems generated by xleap/gleap? I don't want to divert to work on this stuff in pmemd immediately, but if folks want to reach a consensus on sander and xleap/gleap, then I can wedge the capability into pmemd in a little while. Realistically speaking, I think if we expand to 100M -1 capability, we should be covered for the forseeable future, and that is what we have with the current 'new' prmtop; of course the new prmtop and new inpcrd actually allow going even higher by specifying a different format than i8. The current hard architectural limit is around 134M, caused by the size of the image identifier (27 bits; the high bits are reserved for other info in the pairlist - also fixable). Of course you better really have a 64 bit machine and a bit more than 4 GB/core to handle this sort of stuff...

> Regards - Bob

e actually is a multi-GB physical memory. The problem is particularly bad with some new code I am developing, due to extensive async i/o and requirements for buffers that at least theoretically could be pretty big (up to natom possible; by spending a couple of days writing really complicated code I can actually handle this in small amounts of space with effectively no performance impact - but it is the sort of thing that will be touchy and require additional testing). Anyway, I do want to gauge the desire to move up past 999,999 atoms, and make the point that on something like BG/L, it would actually require a lot more work to be able to run multi-million atom problems (basically got to go back and look at all the allocations, make them dense rather than sparse by doing all indexing through lists, allow for adaptive minimal i/o buffers, etc. etc. - messy stuff, some of it sourcing from having to allocate lots of arrays dimensioned by natom).
> Best Regards - Bob
>

> Professor Kenneth M. Merz, Jr.
> Department of Chemistry
> Quantum Theory Project
> 2328 New Physics Building
> PO Box 118435
> University of Florida
> Gainesville, Florida 32611-8435
>

> e-mail: merz.qtp.ufl.edu
> http://www.qtp.ufl.edu/~merz
>

> Phone: 352-392-6973
> FAX: 352-392-8722
> Cell: 814-360-0376
>

> --
> Carlos L. Simmerling, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor Phone: (631) 632-1336
> Center for Structural Biology Fax: (631) 632-1555
> CMM Bldg, Room G80
> Stony Brook University E-mail: carlos.simmerling.gmail.com
> Stony Brook, NY 11794-5115 Web: http://comp.chem.sunysb.edu

                            Dr. Adrian E. Roitberg
                              Associate Professor
               Quantum Theory Project and Department of Chemistry
University of Florida                         PHONE 352 392-6972
P.O. Box 118435                               FAX   352 392-8722
Gainesville, FL 32611-8435                    Email adrian.qtp.ufl.edu
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong,
to the American public."
   --  Theodore Roosevelt