Re: amber-developers: Fw: How many atoms?

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 21:10:07 -0500

it sounded like Bob thinks there there IS a cost to doing this.
My feeling is that if there was no cost, go for it, but if it takes
away Bob's precious time that he could be using to get this
stuff up and working for smaller systems, then we should let
him focus on the sizes that people actually run rather than having
delays or overall slower code just to support things that none of us
actually simulate. Sure, it could be great PR, and yes, maybe
focusing on smaller systems isn't visionary enough, but I think
there is a lot to be gained by getting better code for more modest
systems that still have biological relevance, rather that us wasting
Bob's time on code that none of us need (yet).
carlos

On Dec 4, 2007 8:46 PM, Ken Merz <merz.qtp.ufl.edu> wrote:

> Hi, If it costs us nothing then why not scale PMEMD beyond 999,999 atoms.
> Someone out there might want to do 1MM+ atom simulation with the AMBER
> program suite! Kennie
>
> On 4 Dec 2007, at 2:14 PM, Robert Duke wrote:
>
> Hello folks!
> I am working hard on high-scaling pmemd code, and in the course of the
> work it became clear to me, due to large async i/o buffer and other issues,
> that going to very high atom counts may require a bunch of extra work,
> especially on certain platforms (BG/L in particular...). I posed the
> question below to Dave Case; he suggested I bounce it off the list, so here
> it is. The crux of the matter is how people feel about having an MD
> capability in pmemd for systems bigger than 999,999 atoms in the next
> release. Please respond to the dev list if you have strong feelings in
> either direction.
> Thanks much! - Bob
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Duke" <rduke.email.unc.edu>

Carlos L. Simmerling, Ph.D.
Associate Professor                 Phone: (631) 632-1336
Center for Structural Biology       Fax:   (631) 632-1555
CMM Bldg, Room G80
Stony Brook University              E-mail: carlos.simmerling.gmail.com
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5115          Web: http://comp.chem.sunysb.edu