Re: amber-developers: leaprc questions

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 19:06:51 -0700

Hi,

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, David A. Case wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 02, 2007, Scott Brozell wrote:
>
> > But if one sources leaprc.ff03 then one can load a dna containing pdb
> > and save the prmtop.
> > What is the equivalent procedure for a rna containing pdb ?
>
> Leaprc files are templates that perform certain common tasks. I suppose we
> could create various ways of doing protein-rna complexes, and encode them in
> their own leaprc files. RNA-protein interactions may be an important special
> case, but we can't "black-box" everything: basically, people need to learn how
> to modify existing leaprc files to do what they want. This probably applies
> to DOCK users as well....

This is a reasonable position, but rna is a special case.
We could make life easier for our users
by eliminating stumbling blocks like irrelevant inconsistencies
between leaprc files. For example, I tried to diff dna rna leaprc pairs
in anticipation of using the patch command to convert a dna leaprc
file into an rna one, but this was not as simple as it should have been.

Scott