Re: amber-developers: Problems compiling Amber 10

From: Scott Brozell <sbrozell.scripps.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:17:24 -0800

Hi,

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Robert Duke wrote:

> Well, I couldn't resist, though you all probably already know both of the
> relationships below -
> - Bob

a classic.

> VMS --> WNT (Windows NT - a number of key guys on the NT team were from DEC;
> of course you guys probably all think that the VAXen were meant to run
> Berkeley Unix)

new vms->wnt as a rip off of above, but didnt know the real dec connection.

> You are aware that in going from i to h, you screwed up the implicit typing
> though, right? It took me a couple of years to get used to the fact that I
> should not try to assign any other meaning to the first letter in a variable
> name in sander starting with i or l ;-)

Obviously, and this implicit typing especially in combination with
token name length limits is still in the 21st century
a source of horrible programming.
Also obvious, i hope, is that hac should be read as hack, and I am using
hack in a negative connotation.

But there is a subtle point - hac is a word and idc is not.
I believe that token names should be words.
Admittedly, hac is not an english word (hac is this in latin).

Scott

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!"
Batman: "Easily."
Robin: "Easily."
Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."
Robin: "Thank you."
Batman: "You're welcome."