Re: amber-developers: amber performance

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:14:16 -0500

Oh, and regarding Knuth, he is of course right. The problem with
optimization work is it always adds complexity and causes you to tromp all
over all sorts of solid software engineering principles. So you shouldn't
do it until you know you have to, because it can lead to all sorts of
grief - slipped schedules, bugs, outright project failures. But there are
some things where you know you need performance, and that is the domain I am
living in (heck, I have been working in this exact domain for years - I am
completely bored with just getting functionality, and very early on in
industry I specialized in handling the code where performance limitations
were an issue). So it is a really good idea for you guys to hack out some
reasonably clean software (please) that gets the science right, and for me
to come in and say, well, if I make this stuff impossible to understand,
then not only will nobody figure out how to copy it, but it will be 10x
faster ;-) (just a joke - that impossible to understand part).
Best - Bob