RE: amber-developers: amber performance

From: Yong Duan <duan.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:39:32 -0800

If you look at the low-level communication lib vs standard MPI (table 2 of
their paper), the difference is not that much. I also think the sp and dp do
not make too much difference on Opteron (which is a 64-bit native machine).

But they had a new approach on 3D FFT. They did not do the usual "slab" 3D
FFT. Instead, they simply did the 3DFFT in place (page 6). With the spatial
decomposition, they only need small number of comms for each fft. As for the
spatial decomposition, they did not "exchange" the particles every step.
Rather, only every four steps (or so). All these may be helpful to Bob and
Mike.

But I still don't see how could this make such a huge difference.

yong