Re: amber-developers: How to compute H2O:H2O nonbonded forces 80% faster than PMEMD9

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:24:56 -0500

Hi David -
I have actually considered treating water separately, somewhat as you
suggest, but I feel constrained to exactly replicate sander results, which I
sort of doubt you do with low resolution tables. I will definitely consider
something in this vein as long as it produces exact results with sander out
to about 300 steps; there are after all lots of ways I can sacrifice
precision to gain speed. I don't think we necessarily need precision to the
level I am getting it for quality of results - it is more a software
validation issue. But given your comments here, I will give more serious
consideration to a routine handling just the water-water interactions. We
got a big jump in performance for direct force computation going 8->9, I
have been concentrating more on scaling issues as of late, but I do firmly
believe that getting single node performance fast is the first step in
getting overall performance. I think you may also not be considering that
there is real overhead in doing the separation of the two types of atoms -
water vs nonwater, that will lower the performance "yield". But it still is
the kernel of an idea that may help some.
Thanks - Bob