RE: amber-developers: amber10 code broken in qm2_dftb_gb.f

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:04:32 -0800

Hi All,

My apologies here for using long lines although I do try to keep them below
132 characters. I think that the code is cleaner this way as it is easier to
read. At least if you have a high res screen and a large terminal. You don't
need to use small fonts, the default is fine.

> chars. I say this because I typically bring up at least 4
> windows to do
> code work, and may need that many windows or more to get the
> total context
> needed. So when you go to really long lines, you can limit

Ah you see this is the difference. What you need are 4 monitors side by
side, you can do it really well with multiple pc's if you don't have a 4 way
graphics card - see http://synergy2.sourceforge.net

I use this approach and just have 4 code windows open, each one maximized on
a separate screen. Then you can easily get 132 character long lines in and
it is really easy to follow the context across multiple source files.
Another option that works well are the widescreen flat panel screens they
make these days. You can use these in either a horizontal or a vertical
orientation. Setting them up vertically works great, then with 2 of them
side by side you can have 2 full width windows on one, one on top of the
other, and two on the other monitor. Or if you prefer you can maximize a
terminal on one and then you get around 140 characters wide by about 150
lines long - very very useful when looking through long subroutines.

Though I guess not everyone can do this in which case I will defer to
whatever the masses want. I am loathed to go as short as 80 characters as
this takes us back to the days of fortran 77 almost. I think the limit in
Fortran 90 is 132 characters so perhaps we can pick something in the middle
say 100 or so.

All the best
Ross

/\