RE: amber-developers: Troubles at PSC

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 08:29:15 -0700

Hi All,

With regards to the tutorials in the beginning of the DNA tutorial 1 I use a
frequency of 100 x 2fs for the first two simulations. Mainly because these
are small gas phase simulations that are designed to blow up and I want the
user to see this.

In the final stage of the tutorial where the users run a simulation that
converts A-DNA into B-DNA then I use 250x2fs which is perhaps a little too
often although this is only a 1.8ns run. I could perhaps add a discussion
here about suitable values for ntwx.

The other tutorial that does long MD runs is tutorial 8 which is TRPcage
folding here during the heating phase I use 50x0.5fs for mdcrd but this is
because the initial structure is very strained and I find if it is going to
go bang it will do so during the initial heating (40ps or so) and having a
frequent mdcrd dump can show up potential problems. When I move to the
production which are 5ns blocks I use 500x2fs but this was mainly because
the system only has 304 atoms total and being GB the time per step is quite
high. Again perhaps I'll add a note here saying that if this was an explicit
water simulation then a value of 1000 or so for ntwx would be more
appropriate.

On another note, I think it might be a good idea to introduce users to using
PMEMD for calculations it supports although the question is where to put
this such that it doesn't overly confuse people. I am currently writing a
tutorial that shows how to install amber on linux and windows so perhaps I
will add it here with an explanation.

All the best
Ross

/\