Re: amber-developers: Excluded list ?

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:01:21 -0700

Okay, guys, I presume Tom will clarify exactly what he did with extra
points, and I agree that with a specific forcefield it may be dangerous to

ignore something in the prmtop. However, and I hate to harp, but I feel
like no one is hearing what I am attempting to say, the more fundamental
problem is that there is potential ambiguity in the prmtop. This comes
about as we add more forcefields. There should be exact specification in
the prmtop as to what forcefield it applies to. Then, for each forcefield

there should be exact specification of what is needed in the prmtop for
that
forcefield, and what the data actually means (implying how it should be
used). Unless you put the effort into doing this, you will never get
things
right. Now, a little bit of testing is a good thing. BUT there is no
such
thing as complete testing; the permutations are mind-boggling and it is
not
at all possible. Correctness is essentially unprovable for anything but
the
simplist snippet of code. The only salvation is in clean design and
specification, especially of interfaces. This is actually not that hard
for
the prmtop. You go back and do the complete derivation for the '94 ff,
and
then everything is a delta from that base. BUT if you never do this and
keep adding forcefields, you are going to sink into a morass. This is
less
of an issue for me than it is for the amber group as a whole, because I
only
intend to implement forcefields that are really successful while in the
sand(er)box. BUT what is a killler for me is if any fundamental objects
in
the current prmtop are changed or removed. I think I may have
misunderstood
Yong, but the reason I jumped in on all this is that it sounded like that
was what he wanted to do.
Regards - Bob