Re: amber-developers: Apple's feed back for amber.

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:42:33 -0700

Mengjuei -
Okay, I looked at the apple G5 pmemd performance optimizations a bit, and
had no idea we were talking about this level of performance optimization.
This stuff is written to a very low hardware-specific level, and would be
nightmare to maintain from our perspective (imagine each hardware vendor
doing this level of optimization of our critical code and saying "here,
you
support it"). Also, though you have not seen pmemd 9 checkins that are
different, that is because I won't check stuff in until we are further
along
with critical stuff like amoeba. There are significant changes everywhere

in the 9 codebase, and adapting this stuff to 9 will probably be
nontrivial.
I would recommend we let apple support this level of patch themselves,
releasing it on their applications website or whatever; if there is
popular
demand from the users, they will do it to sell hardware. Dave, I attached

all the source Mengjuei sent me so you can take a look too, and voice an
opinion on this sort of thing as El Jaffe. Personally, I shudder to think

of the maintenance and test impact (and it's not that I'm a total weenie;
heck, I used to both write and teach assembler, but I didn't do it
targetting 1000's of users on every machine in the universe that's not
slug
slow, and a few that are ;-)).
Regards - Bob