Re: amber-developers: Apple's feed back for amber.

From: Mengjuei Hsieh <mengjueh.uci.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:27:20 -0700

Hi,

First of all, the extra g5 modification code from Apple Computer does NOT
contain any AltiVec code. And I don't believe they will "rapidly" change
Intel CPU on high performance computing. The description "in the coming
months" is not very correct. In fact, things won't change much within 2
years especially on HPC. Apple Computer will introduce Intel based low
price
(like mac mini) machines first (mostly) next year. And the transition will
take 2 more years.

However, I am really not sure if they are willing to provide support for
this patch. I myself don't have any G5 machine here in our group either.
So
I am going to ask the HPC group, and making sure how they are going to
maintain the patch.

Best,
--
Mengjuei Hsieh, Luo group, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University
of