Re: amber-developers: weirdnesses in Langevin dynamics code

From: John Mongan <jmongan.mccammon.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 17:33:19 -0700

This is exactly what I tried to do. I'm not all that experienced with F90,

so there may be a better way (I'm open to suggestions/rewrites), but you
can see what I've got in src/sander/random.f

In addition to the object-style interface you've suggested, I also
preserved the original single stream interface by creating wrapper
functions that get the generator state record out of a common block and
then call the "objectified" routines with this default generator record.
This way portions of the code that want to control accesses to their
random stream can keep their own private streams, and other parts of the
code that aren't so picky can continue to use the old interface and don't
have to worry about storing/passing around the generator state data.

random.f was my first experience with F90, so, as I said, there may be
better ways to do this.

Thanks,

John

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Robert Duke wrote:

> John -
> Understood. I am more used to dealing with development in an
environment
> where I know who the heck is calling random number generators. Perhaps
> better way to handle this would be to effectively "objectify" it. In
f90,
> one could define a record structure with all the necessary state data
for the
> random number generator. One would then call the random number
generator,
> always passing in a pointer to the appropriate state record associated
with a
> given task. In this manner, you could run however many random number
> sequences starting with whatever seed you want. Of course, this would
be
> much more intuitive with a c++ object, but the basic idea is still
realizable
> in fortran (perhaps in a neater manner than this first suggestion; I
tend to
> not get really esoteric in my use of language features).
> Regards - Bob
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Mongan"
<jmongan.mccammon.ucsd.edu>

That