Re: amber-developers: isotropic periodic sums now in Amber 9

From: darden <darden.gamera.niehs.nih.gov>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:12:50 -0700

not at all---I'm very secure with my inner self (i've already made my
$billions from pme)----

I would add that if force fields eventually get away from
atomic point charges, that is if it turns out to be necessary to include
more "features" of the electron density, that all list based approaches
scale quadratically in the number of such features, whereas the reciprocal

pme or multigrid methods scale linearly. so for example with amoeba the
idea is to use a quite small direct space cutoff and do most of it in
reciprocal space. The most efficient coulomb solvers in quantum codes now
use a mix of pme type reciprocal evaluation with a tree code for the
skinniest gaussians.
td